Helping Hands is fortunate to have dozens of volunteers backing up every staff member whether in The Health Center, the food pantry, the thrift stores, the boutique or the Assistance and Referral office. Currently, volunteers help in the Food Pantry by filling food orders, arranging donations and assisting with referrals to other agencies. The Health Center staff is supplemented with volunteers who arrange for patients to get dental services and appointments with specialists in Rockwall who provide services at reduced rates or on a pro bono basis. The Thrift Stores and boutique are also reliant on volunteers who sort and hang clothing, prepare donations for the sales floor, test small appliances and arrange merchandise displays. Many volunteers help out at Thanksgiving and Christmas and with the large food and toy drives. Our special events also utilize volunteers to help with planning, setting up and cleaning up of the events.
We would love for you to learn more about the agency and volunteer opportunities available. To become a volunteer, please complete the application below and attend one volunteer orientation. Volunteer Orientations are generally held on the first Thursday of every month. You can turn your volunteer application and email to MichelleTauzin@Rockwallhelpinghands.com. Someone will contact you with information about our next upcoming orientation.
Contact Us at 972-771-1655 x221
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Great Ways to Make a Difference…
Rockwall County Helping Hands has numerous volunteer opportunities throughout our organization. We are seeking caring individuals with time to give back to their community for any of the following positions.
Assistance & Referral Volunteers
The Assistance and Referral office is open Monday through Friday from 10 am – 12 pm and 1 pm – 4 pm but is closed Wednesday afternoons. Volunteers work in the office daily and have direct interaction with clients requesting assistance. Most volunteers in the Assistance and Referral office volunteer on a regular weekly basis and generally volunteer for a half day each week. Volunteers are trained for their responsibilities.
- Receptionists – help those coming for assistance with the application process, accept donations for the pantry and for the agency, provide information
- Food Pantry – pack food for clients, stock shelves
- Interviewers – assist staff with interviewing clients, assessing needs and providing assistance
Thrift Store and Boutique Volunteers
The Thrift Store and Boutique utilize volunteers Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Volunteers assist in the daily operations. The Thrift Store and Boutique bring in close to $1 million dollars in sales per year which covers all agency operating costs plus provides additional funds for emergency assistance.
- Books – straighten books on sales floor, categorize, stock sales floor with books
- Clothing – sort usable clothing, hang clothes, place on appropriate sales floor racks
- Electronics – test donations, keep sales floor supplied with electronics, keep electronic sales floor neat
- Linens – keep sales floor area neat, process linens, assist in pricing
- Shoes, Purses & Luggage – keep shoe and purse sales floor area neat, process shoes, purses and luggage
- Furniture – keep household sales floor area neat, process household donations, clean household items, assist in pricing merchandise
Loading and Unloading Area
- Outside Sales Area – bring in donations, put overage and discards on trailer, know prices of items outside to answer customers’ questions on pricing
Health Center Volunteers
The Health Center utilizes volunteers Monday through Saturday to assist the staff with a variety of needs. Some of our medically trained volunteers can assist the Nurse Practitioners with patient care needs, while other volunteers help us with administration and data entry needs.
- Receptionists – answer phones, help with light filing and typing
- Data Entry – enter patient information into secured date bases for vaccinations and patient assistance
- Medical Assistants – assist in rooming patients, working in the lab, and running seasonal flu shot clinic
- Physicians & Nurses – donate your time and expertise to the Health Center and give back to your community email our Practice Manager