Rockwall County Helping Hands food pantry is run in conjunction with the Assistance and Referral Program, offering relief to those families who are unable to put food on the table due to a crisis. Families coming for assistance with food are provided with enough canned goods, staples and refrigerated and frozen items to last 5 - 7 days.
In 2018 Helping Hands gave away 190,100 lbs of food. Helping Hands realizes that hunger is a real problem within our community, and the agency works to share this chronic need with Rockwall County.
Occasionally Helping Hands has to purchase staples and meats for the pantry, but the vast majority of food is supplied through food drives by schools, churches, U.S. Postal employees and youth groups such as the Boy and Girl Scouts. Many individuals and families make donations of food to the pantry as well.
We are grateful to local stores, such as Kroger, Tom Thumb, and Costco that provide bakery goods and other items for the food pantry. They are treats to an otherwise predictable pantry fare.
If you or your organization would be interested in conducting a food drive, contact:
Sherry Hamm - Food Pantry Manager
972-771-4357 Ext. 206
Purchase Needed Pantry Items Online
Funding Our Programs
With your help in 2018, Emergency Assistance:
- kept 266 families in their homes,
- gave over 1,100 families utilities, clothing or other furnishings,
- distributed over 190, 100 pounds of food,
- provided school supplies and backpacks for 947 students,
- provided 237 Thanksgiving meal baskets,
- and provided 4 new Christmas toys and 3 stocking stuffers each of the 1,002 children served.